Saturday, November 7, 2009

Booo on Halloween Candy (and a Curious Puppy Dog)


Thursday was quite a day...

We left Thursday morning to go to work like every other day. We always let Bentley have the run of the house downstairs and babygate the stairs so he can't hurt himself running up and down. We put up everything on the coffee table b/c he loves to grab things off of it. He chewed up my first Social Security Card and many other things... thank goodness I changed my name! ;) I filled up his water and food, took him to pee outside, and then left for work. Apparenly what I didn't do was get our massive bag of candy left over from our non-existant trick-or-treaters off the end table and put it in the cabinets.

By the time M got home, it was a disaster zone. Candy was everywhere, empty wrappers were all over our living room floor. Half eaten Blow Pops were stuck in Bentley's fur and M&Ms were EVERY-WHERE! M picked up every wrapper and counted how many pieces of candy had been eaten. Our little 7 pound Yorkie baby ate three mini Crunch bars, a Reese's cup, and lord only knows how many mini packets of M&Ms. He licked on about 5 Blow Pops that were stuck to our Oriental Rug underneath our dining room table.

Needless to say I WIGGED OUT. Chocolate for a doggy is bad news bears. I called our vet, who happened to be out for the day. I called my Mom to ask if she knew what to do and even posted my quandry on Facebook. I called my vet back and they recommended that I go to the pet emergency clinic to go thehis stomach pumped. Then one of our friends called, her Dad is a vet and he said to just look for warning signs of sickness like throwing up, peeing alot, and bad diharrea. All bad, gross things. So instead of spending a ton of money at the pet emergency clinic we chose to wait.

I watched him like a hawk all night long. He acted like a normal doggy but he was definitely amped up on caffeine! He spent all night playing with his toys instead of sleeping like he normally does. And I stayed up with him. I just couldn't sleep thinking he could seizure out at any time. So crazy little me stayed up... and he was fine. YAY! But we definitely learned that we can't ever buy chocolate again, ever!

5 comments:

Katy said...

My ex's dog ate an entire bag of M&Ms. I'm talking about those big bags. The dog was fine. It was the craziest thing I have ever seen.

If you want your dog to throw up you can use peroxide... just in case you need to know for next time. :-)

Brittany Ann said...

My pups did the same thing but with a bag full of heart-shaped fudge brownies at Christmas time. I was panicked. Turns out, it takes a lot of chocolate to hurt a dog, so we were OK too, but I was totally ready to have his stomach pumped if necessary.

Mrs. Smith said...

I would have been crazy scared too!! Oh my goodness! I've heard too that you can pout peroxide down their throats to induce vomiting. Gross, but my SIL did it once when her dog ate an entire batch of brownies!

LauraAnn said...

Oh my gosh! I would have been terrified too!

Our dog decided to eat poison ivy which is poisonous to dogs. Luckily one of my good friends is a vet tech. She recommended shooting hydrogen peroxide down his throat to get him to throw up. Big dogs require a lot (picture a turkey baster). Needless to say, he got everything out of his system and was fine. I called the vet the next day and I was informed that if I had brought him in they would have done the same thing (except they would have also charged me an arm and a leg).

Ashley @ Bride on a Budget said...

My dog ate an entire bag of reeses when she was younger. Nothing terrible happened to her.